Thursday, October 18, 2012

Juuuust a quick update on what we've got going on 'round here...

Totally fall out. Totally! Love it. Definitely my favorite time of year. (I know, I know. It's a little on the warm-ish side today. And we're all bracing for thunderstorms tonight. Which, sure. I like a good thunderstorm as much as the next guy. But it IS the middle of October, and I'm on the lookout for snow. SNOW!) Late summer is probably our best season for sorbetto, when we're rolling through all kinds of awesome fruit. But fall? Fall's when we get acorn squash, and pumpkin (which, to get out ahead of it, tastes a lot more like pumpkin than it does pumpkin pie. We get asked a lot.), and now we've even got cream cheese gelato with Medjool dates. Those three are a medio cup waiting to happen if you ask me.

[A quick aside, acknowledging that I've had a problem with parantheticals for a long, long time: I went looking for a picture of Medjool dates and this popped up and totally distracted me:
Bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with chorizo and gorgonzola. STOBBIT. BRB, copying recipe.}

And we've been blowing up our bar menu, too--it was definitely time to tuck away our warm weather drinks for a few months. You need something with a little more hair on its chest when the winds start blowing cold! So our mulled wine is back but no, we're still not going to share the recipe. Sorry! You'll just have to come see us for it instead.

We've added a few cocktails that are sort of already our favorites--the white manhattan for one. It's a take on a traditional manhattan using Philadelphia Distilling's Shine Whiskey. It's okay. Y'know. No great shakes or anything. (It's awesome. Come by for happy hour tonight and try it.) And we're still loving us some Spodee! So good in a chocolate frappe. Suddenly...suddenly I'm wondering about a frappe with Spodee and cream cheese and date gelato...might have to try that out when I'm done working later today. Also, for no other reason than I like it a lot, the John Henry 3 Lick Spiker Ale is back. If you haven't had it yet, it's a chewy, semi-sweet, super-strong sipping ale. One of the best beers I've tried in the last year or so. Definitely a favorite.

OH and SOUP! Soup's back. Gonna hold us in good stead through what rumor says is likely to be a gnarly winter. I LIKE gnarly winters. Everyone glares at me when I say that, and I sorta don't care. BRING IT. You're worried? Then you probably need better boots. So. You're coming in for happy hour for a bowl of soup with a healthy hunka bread, a white manhattan, and then a Spodee frappe for dessert. Yes? Yes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment