Wednesday, October 3, 2012

It's Costume Time!

Whether or not you're young or old, everyone likes dressing up in Halloween costumes. No matter if it's your first time trick or treating, or if you're that frat guy who goes every year as the "Breast Inspector" (clever, brah), we all love pretending to be in character for the night.

When my brother and I were kids, my parents would switch off making our Halloween costumes from scratch. My mother would usually have us be some sort of literary figure like Robinson Crusoe or Anne of Green Gables. My father was much more of a carpenter, and would construct elaborate costumes out of cardboard, foamcore, or rubber.

My dad also loves puns. When I was four my father had this wonderful idea to make my costume a giant cardboard cylinder with holes cut out for my arms and face. One side he painted like a Morton Salt shaker (complete with little girl and raincoat), and the other like a Duracell Battery. My costume was... "Assault and Battery". The other parents thought it was a riot, but I had no idea what the joke was so I just went running around yelling "I'm Salt!", and falling down a lot. 

In any case, no matter what ridiculousness you dress your kids or self in this year, make it a point to come down to Capogiro 20th Street. We will be participating once again in the Rittenhouse Row Trick or Treat festivities and will give you lots of candy.


1 comment: