Friday, February 19, 2010

It's starting to look a lot like...


The Dead Of Winter. Seriously. Mardi Gras is over, Valentine's Day came and went...even the Olympics are nearing their half-way point. (Incidentally, every single time someone wins a medal for anything, I find myself getting all misty-eyed and emotional...bizarre.) I think it's safe to say that anyone who hasn't found themselves succumbing to the slight lag of winter blues may or may not be a pathological liar. Or optimist.
However, in the midst of it all - the historic amounts of snow, leaking row homes and completely plowed in cars...the city, in its tenacious glory, continues to grind along. It's uplifting. It keeps me going. Whenever I leave the city for any extended amount of time, there's a piece of me I leave here with Philly. I can't help it. No matter where I go, how exotic the locale, there's something about flying over the skyline before landing that pulls at me. I even try to schedule my flights around sunset, if I can. No lie.
All I really have to say is that in eleven days, it's gonna be March. March! The one that goes out like a lamb! We're almost there, kids, we're in the final stretch. If I could dig my forsythia out of the snowbank in my back yard I'd start peering at it for buds, any day now (ok ok so maybe I'm trying to adopt that pathologic optimism, so sue me).
But you know what? Spring in Philadelphia is amazing. The Flower Show starts the day the Olympics end! And the first PHILLIES Spring Training game is in 14 days, 1 hour and 17 minutes, according to the count down on their website! CapoPenn has avocado sorbetto today!! And `Yunk will be open again before you know it.
Now there's some for real Philly optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment