Monday, March 7, 2011

Oh, It Feels So Good!

Yunk is open, my friends. So nice. So good. We are home. Sarahthebest texted me Saturday and said, "All of South Philly is coming in!!" It was awesome. We were going to wait until the warm weather was truly here to open, but John said, "NO MORE WINTER! That's it. We're done. Open Yunk. Now." Yes, m'lord. Right away, m'lord. So glad I listened this time.

My aunt was in the city with my cousin for the Flower Show. It is an incredible event, but I have a hard time with crowds of that size. Suddenly, I feel that I cannot breath. Honestly, the last time I was there I was pregnant. Was it hormones or was it the throngs of people and the scent of gardenias? Hard to say. It is a shame that I am so crazy. I miss the show each year, but my Aunt does not. She has not missed a show in years and years and years. We went to Jones for lunch and then she asked, "Is the store with the old photos open, yet?" You see, those old photos at the Yunk are old pictures of John's family and my family. I had forgotten that she had never been there. Off to Yunk....

She walked through the door and her entire face lit up. There she was, probably only 19 years old sitting on my father's, her brother's lap. My aunt's eyes scanned the room and she slowly walked forward into the cafe. Her mom, her father, and Uncle Bernie. Some long lost relatives that are truly hideous (I don't think they have teeth) made her laugh, then her eyes filled with tears. I quickly put a cup of Orange Cardamom sorbetto in her hands. She does not like to mix flavors.

It was Sunday and the rain was falling outside. A few couples and a family were sitting about and enjoying some gelato. Ezra was working and he said that the day was slow with the rain. That's what happens in a neighborhood joint. Rain or not, it was glorious to be open on East Passyunk Avenue. We missed it. Thanks for coming in South Philly!



No comments:

Post a Comment