Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Diet Schmiet


Saturday evening over a huge, delicious burger with deeeeeeply fried fries, my friend Derek introduced me to a cleansing diet created 25 years ago, (supposedly) by General Motors. Why General Motors was interested in creating a diet, I don't know... but Derek sent me the description and after downing 1000 calories at dinner alone, we decided to give it a shot. I won't go into too much detail since you now have the link (http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html), but I probably like you, so I'll share my thoughts thus far.

The cleanse is a week-long program in which you start with exclusively fruits and vegetables for days one and two, and then slowly begin re-introducing dairy, meat, and grains into your diet. Portions don't matter (Colleen and I STUFFED ourselves with fruit yesterday), but there are a few seemingly safe foods that you actually have to wait to introduce until a specific day such as bananas and fruit juices.

Now, you can call me crazy. Really, go for it. I'm usually in support of eating balanced meals and making exercise fun over following a diet, but a week won't kill me, and... I'm curious. I can't help it! Anyways, yesterday was day one. I thought a day of eating fruit and fruit alone would be heaven, but in truth, by 8pm, I'd sworn off fruit salad for a good three months, and I've never craved simple things like toast and rice so badly. Today is just veggies, starting with a baked potato for breakfast to get our complex carbs for the day. I kid you not, a potato has NEVER tasted so good.

Check out the link to see what the rest of my week will entail. I've had some close calls at 13th street today... Sorbetti doing their darndest to convince me to sample them... All those gorgeous new panini asking me to just give them a try! TOAST, laughing in my face. Regardless of whether or not I lose a few pounds or feel immensely healthier, if I make it through the week, I will have survived a serious test of will power, and I'll settle for that any day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment