Wednesday, March 23, 2011

No Italian grannies were harmed in the making of this granita.

To preface, I was pondering what to blog about today whilst eating a delicious snack. As I was thinking, I kept getting distracted by the frozen goodness I had in my hand. It was then I realized that I should devote my post to my favorite icy treat - GRANITA: Back with a Vengence!

Although the weather outside is terrible today, Spring is definitely on it's way (c'mon buddy, any day now!). One of the tell tale signs that winter is over at 20th Street is that we start to make granita again! Starting off strong with orange and lemon, Ryan and I intend on wowing you all summer long with different variations of this slushy masterpiece.

Granita is a favorite of several of our regulars. One of whom is a soft spoken gent we ingeniously refer to as 'Granita Guy'. Last week I actually ran down the block to yell "WE HAVE GRANITAAA!!" at him. He was obviously on his lunch break and his coworkers must have thought I was a lunatic.

Another regular, "Espresso Guy" (yeah, we really need to work on our nicknaming skills), comes in every day for solo espresso shots. He is a small Italian man who speaks very little English and thinks it's amusing to try to get me to speak Italian. He will point at things like spoons and sugar and force me to repeat after him. It's like our little game, although I don't remember signing up to play...

In any case, I asked him to try our granita and he was thoroughly impressed. Again, we were having communication issues, but from what I could gather, he wanted to know if we had his old Italian grandmother chained to a radiator in our kitchen. This was meant as an accolade to our granita, I'm fairly certain.

In any case, no matter what kind of 'Guy' you are, pop on over to 20th Street and getcha some before I eat it all. Kthxbai.

My tasty treat, orange granita
with champagne mango sorbetto.
Nom nom nom nom nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment