Monday, June 14, 2010

WORLD CUP FEVER! ITALIA!!!
















Are you spending your early mornings watching the games? Have you been catching those 2:30 primetime matches? You should. Please do. I know, I know, Americans don't do the whole soccer thing and the term "soccer mom" is akin to calling someone ugly.

I must agree with some of the criticisms that are issued to our European titans of the sport. We can handle the whole smash em up part of sports. We love a great tackle in the red zone, jump to our feet when someone is smashed to the glass off the ice, and gasp when hacked under the hoop. When we see grown men roll over and over and over and OVER and grasp their ankles or legs or head and seem to cry after what looked like a...trip, we roll our eyes. Americans have a hard time with what seems to be "wimpish, cry-baby" behavior. Unfortunately, it is not that simple. Soccer or Football in most places, is truly a beautiful game where each possession can change a game. Rarely do you see a sport in which a team can be dominant and lose. Each goal scored is practically miraculous. The rolling and grabbing and diving is part of the game. Liken it to "drawing a foul" in basketball. Although, the room for cheating (diving) and debate are huge. Referees make an error and it costs the game. There is no video replay or "take backs" in this league.

You must watch the USA this year. If only to see Tim Howard, the Goalkeeper. He is truly great. In fact, he is one of the greatest. Please watch this guy. He'll make you proud.

The fans are borderline psychotic. When I was in my early twenties, I was traveling with a close friend from college, Nica. Nica and I were in Brussels on our way into the train station for a day outing to Bruges. We walked into pandemonium. There were hundreds of peoples yelling and the police were everywhere. We witnessed several men being dragged up the stairs by police while being hit with small clubs and lines of men on their bellies with police standing above them. These men looked possessed; screaming and carrying on while clearly not in control of themselves. Nica and I had a difficult time getting to the correct platform. We had no idea what was going on. I asked a man who was waiting for the same train (in very bad French) why the commotion? He replied (in better English than my French) "Soccer game." Soccer? What?!? He had to be kidding.


My kids play soccer. Yes, I am a soccer mom. Don't hate me. All of these crazy aspects of a European dominated sport intrigue me. It is a beautiful game. I will run off today to catch the Italy v. Paraguay game at 2:30. Perhaps I will go the the Piazza in Northern Liberties. We watched USA v. England there this weekend. It was packed. I loved it. I had a delicious burger from P.Y.T. and then some gelato from Nana Petrillos. Fantastic! Someone was actually blowing Vuvuzelas. Look at all the people at the Piazza on Saturday! It was fantastic!

Come and join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment