Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What the &%@# is a Whoopie Pie?!

Photo cred: Caitlin

When I was a sophomore in college, I started dating someone who was from Eastern Pennsylvania. After a while, it became time to meet the parents, and we drove hundreds of miles to her hometown of Johnstown, PA. We stopped near Pittsburgh at a tiny roadside general store to grab some munchies and smokes. Near the register, there was an enormous pile of these things called 'Gobs', which looked like ice cream sandwiches but were not frozen. My interest was piqued, and I bought one. Let me tell you, this thing was DEEEEELicious! Two sandwiches of chocolate cake smushed together with a sweet cream filling? Count me in.

Many years and several girlfriends later, I moved to Philadelphia. I started seeing these things called 'Whoopie Pies' everywhere, and they strangely looked exactly like the tasty treat I had before. So apparently, after doing a little research, these are the same thing, but folks in Johnstown wanted a special name for them. It is also disputed whether or not the Whoopie Pie originated in Pennsylvania Amish country or in merry old New England. Whoopie Pies are the official state treat of Maine, but their history is an oft-disputed thing.

In any case, we gots 'em. Good ones. Capogiro just started carrying these sweet little sandwiches from Coco Love Homemade. We're stocking four types of Whoopie Pies; Chippie (chocolate chip cakes, cream cheese), PBM (chocolate cakes, peanut butter mousse), Red Alert (red velvet cakes, cream cheese), and Tomfoolery (snickerdoodle cakes, coconut buttercream). Whatever you want to call them. you best come down to your neighborhood Capo and grab some right now.
Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment