Thursday, July 22, 2010

Welcome to the Avenue...


I've only lived in Philadelphia for four years, yet in that time I've gotten a pretty good feel for the place. Probably helps that I spent my life coming here on a regular basis, my parents lived here for a time...generally Philly was always my home away from home, slightly up 95. I spent my first few years here living in Queens Village - so beautiful! So close to everything! Two and a half years ago I moved much farther South - in my mind, farther than anyone had ever lived, ever. This, turns out, isn't the case.
Since then, quite a bit has changed in South Philly. First of all, a portion of it now goes simply by its street name - "East Passyunk", or "East Pass", affectionately...I've heard a number of people refer to it as "the New Brooklyn" and P'yunk. Important note! See that street name above, the one I'm writing about? Starts with a P? OK...say it out loud. Are you a "Pass-eey-unk" person? Or are you a "Pash-unk" person? You know there's a difference, right? New guard versus the old guard...no lies. Ask around.
When I first moved there (around Synder Ave), standing at the infamous singing fountain in Passyunk Square gave a very different view than the one you get today...the Pope had just opened its doors and is now arguably one of the most popular spots in Philadelphia. The Cantina had not yet opened, though wasn't far behind...nor any of the many tiny, homespun boutiques popping up every time I turn around.
So, I know...I really do. I live there, I hear what people say - hipster neighborhood, nothing happening, all talk...but you know. There's enough food people down there to pack most of the restaurants in the city. Food lovers, music lovers, coffee lovers...East Passyunk is the oldest commercial strip in the city, and the oldest Italian-American commercial enclave in the country. At its best, it was one of the swankiest shopping strips in town. And maybe it'll never quite reach the glory of old, (really, how many things do?) but maybe, we can get it close.

And Capo's there too! Where we belong, really. The Reitano's modeled the shop after a classic Italian scoop shop - hence, the pictures of the family, and the old-timey feel.
Props to the neighborhood, props to the past. Funny how things circle around.

Most importantly? How do YOU say Passyunk?

See you guys there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment