Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy Fourth, Philly


As far as 4th of July is concerned, Philadelphia's pretty much the only place to be. No one else can really compete with our history - we've got a lock on that, no problem (sorry, Nation). I've been running around to all the stores over the last few days and I can honestly say that it's been a while since I felt such a buzz on the streets. While I feel like most of the locals have bugged out, or battened down, everyone else has flocked to our fair city to celebrate their independence as only Philly can.
I'm sayin, fireworks, guys, definitely. If it were me, I'd head to the Camden Aquarium - they're hosting an after hours event where you can wander around the aquarium then hang out on the waterfront to watch the sparks fly at Penn's Landing - how awesome is that?! I'm such a sucker for aquariums, I can't lie. I make it a point that whenever I travel I hit up any and every one that I can find...
If you're in the mood for the historic, but still food oriented (and feeling a little brave), check out the City Tavern Restaurant in Olde City. I'm from Northern Delaware, but have spent all my years coming to Philadelphia - have walked by this place many a time, but have to admit that until now I had no concept how deep their history runs. As in, it was the site of the very first Independence Day celebration! As in, THE celebration! Crazy! (Ok, it's possible I'm more interested in the "Seafood Melange" and Chicken Pot Pie than anything else, but still, when in Rome, right?)
And most importantly, Capo's gotten into the spirit! 20th street has a few "Red, White & Blue" gelato cakes for the occasion - raspberry, Thai Coconut Milk & blueberry! I just watched someone rush out, armed with his cake and on the way to his barbecue. Jealooouus! AND they have Chocolate Peanut Butter today, what more can you want?
If you happened to come see us last night, you may have noticed that all of our stores are outfitted with City Bandz! Yes guys, we've jumped on the bandwagon. Why, you may ask? Because they're silly and quirky and awesome, and so are we! So why not. I have to admit, I was a little behind the times with these things, but as I watch people's reactions to them I just get more and more of a kick out of it. Apparently kids (we have a sign reading 'ages 3-30') have gone crazy for these things, much like Oilies and Pogs were for those of us who grew up in the 80s, or later, Beanie Babies!
Craziness. But a lof of fun. The ones we've got are Philly themed - the LOVE statue, Independence Hall, Ben's kite...though I hear the rarest, most desired of them all is the unicorn, which sadly, we don't have...

But I might trade you a gelato for one!

Hope to see you around this weekend guys, it's gonna be a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment