Monday, July 19, 2010

FOOD, Real Food....Healthy Gelato


NO, No, no. Please don't make me eat processed food. It makes me fart. There. I have said it. Just one bite of Kraft mac and cheese and I am done and so are the poor slobs that happen to be in my presence. So sorry. I find it bizarre that my body rebels like this, but it can only help me, really. I have more energy, I feel good, and I am healthy.

Lately I have heard mumblings that gelato is not healthy for you. WHaT?!? Pu-lease people. Do you know what you are eating? Let me enlighten;

MILK, SUGARS, CHOCOLATE, NUTS, THE FRESHEST FRUIT, SOMETIMES THERE'S AN EGG YOLK INVOLVED (hand gathered from free free roaming chickens), LITTLE BIT OF CREAM.


What could be unhealthy in that? No high fructose corn syrup, no red dye number whatever, no diglycerideblahblah, polymobilde..., nothing like that!

We need to get our priorities straight, people. With the exception of fruit that is simply not grown around here (ie, lemons, oranges, pineapples, mangoes, lychee, etc.) all of our fruit is grown locally, within a one hours drive. It is grown without chemicals, without pesticides and it is allowed to VINE RIPEN!! Imagine that. All those natural sugars are allowed to develop and the fruit is picked when it is ready (not prematurely so it can travel 1000s of miles).

Our milk is from a single herd of Scottish Ayreshire Cows that ONLY EAT GRASS and are named Cleopatra and Moxie!!! They are never treated with growth hormones and no antibiotics! These cows live 40 minutes outside of Philly. That's them. Look at em!

Yes, there is sugar in our gelato. All "sweets" have them. One large gelato contains as much sugar as an "all natural smoothie" or a cup of yogurt with fruit. Yes, it is equal to ice cream and froyo as far as sugar is concerned. But where did the fruit and milk used for those items come from? Was the milk from a local Menonnite farmer, the cream from the Amish, and the mint from some high school kids in West Philly? Or did it just come from a box or a truck from...I don't know, do you?

The big difference is that the ingredients that we use are local and delicious and ALL NATURAL, in the truest sense. We hand craft our gelato every day. Nothing is just poured into the top of a machine and pooped out. It is crafted. We are not just blending in fruit out of plastic container or scooping it out of an "imported" can. Real fruit grown by real farmers here in our backyard. Our carbon footprint is small. We care about who we purchase from. Just this second, Dan came in with the first of Glenn's blackberries. Big, luscious, almost ready to burst! I placed the first one in my mouth. They are from Green Meadow Farm.



Me: Holy cow.

Dan: I know.

Me: This is crazy.

Dan: I know.

Me: They cannot taste this perfect.

Dan: I know.

Me: Oh my Gawd..

Dan: Blackberries are my favorites.



In Europe, gelato is considered a health food. Italians go every day for a WALK to their local gelateria where the gelato is made fresh each morning. Europeans are far healthier than us exercise obsessed Americans. Why is that? They eat gelato EVERYDAY!!

Think about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment