Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Math is tough

So, like most of us here at Capogiro, I had a liberal arts education. Although I wouldn't trade my English Comp or History of Cheese classes for the world, going to liberal arts college has left me lacking in math skills. I've been considering going to graduate school at some point, so I've decided to take the GRE. Studying for the GRE is like a nightmare. Just when I get super confident at my vast knowledge of polysyllabic words, there comes the math section to smack me in the face and remind me of the staggering phthisis of my cerebellum. That being said, I want you all to share my pain. Here are a couple of Capogiro-related math problems for you to scratch your heads at. I will buy a tall frosty beer to the first person who leaves the correct answers in the comment section below. 

1. Jill wants to get a medio cup with three scoops. She has narrowed down her flavor options to five of her favorite sorbettos, one of which is raspberry. What are the odds that if she tells the barista to scoop three out of her five choices that she will receive a cup with at least one scoop of raspberry sorbetto?

2. 14 women and 10 men come into Capogiro for an after work office treat. Two of them decide that they don't want gelato, and opt for espresso instead. What is the likelihood that these two people are women?

3. A piccolo cup has two scoops of gelato with two different flavors. Out of all of the 27 flavors at 20th Street, five contain nuts. What are the odds of a customer getting a piccolo that doesn't contain any nuts?

Thanks for the photo, Sarah!

No comments:

Post a Comment