Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Salute to the Red Eye

The Red Eye has been my staple ever since I started drinking coffee. For those of you who don't know, a Red Eye is a cup of coffee with an added shot of espresso (not to be confused with an overnight flight from coast to coast or across the pond). I've decided that I have a natural immunity to caffeine, or am just naturally sluggish, so it takes a little extra to give me that added zip. Upon deciding to write about my love of Red Eye's however, I came upon a wealth of knowledge about them that I previously did not know, mostly thanks to Wikipedia. Note to researchers, if you go to Urban Dictionary seeking information on the Red Eye, you will not find anything related to coffee. Don't do it. Gross.

Alternative names for the Red Eye include, but are not limited to, Shot in the Dark, Black Eye, Dead Eye, Sludge Cup, Hammerhead, Black Gold, and Mondo (which I think is a stupid name, who orders an iced Mondo and retains any scrap of dignity?!) Apparently our braggart neighbors to the north occasionally refer to it as a Canadiano, thus making fun of an Americano, which is espresso and hot water. Hoosiers. In any case, they are delicious, nutritious, and are guaranteed to put some extra pep in your step. Come on down to 20th Street and grab one today. Our coffee, whether hot or cold brewed, is AMAZING and so is our espresso. Put them together and it's love for sure.
Bonus Fun Fact! In some parts of North America, a Red Eye refers to a concoction of tomato juice or clamato juice with beer. At my house, we have a similar drink but we use orange juice instead and call it a "ghettosa".

No comments:

Post a Comment