Monday, February 14, 2011

The Kidnapping of Ronald

It seems as though I have been bombarded with the "I love Food!" v. "I hate Foodies!" phenomenon lately. Each time I tune into my favorite web pages, there it is in large letters shouting their hatred. Back in ancient times it seems as though people who worshipped food were simpletons put in the same categories as lepers, actors and gladiators. Trimalchio's feast? I think not. I am a big Michael Pollan fan and have read every book. I do worship food, but I truly hate any type of fanaticism. Any type of lemming style worship. I think you can be passionate about something, but the second that person gets into my face and insists their opinion is the only opinion, I am gone. I don't care if I even agree with them. I am always open for a good round of solid discussion, where one listens and considers and may even change their mind. Now granted, I am pretty stuck in certain areas and close to nuthin will change my mind, but that does not mean I don't love to talk it up and explore. Could I be wrong? Maybe? Sometimes? Yup. I never close the door. But, that love of the exploration does not mean I do not move to my own beat. I do. I choose not use my passion in combat.

So recently, I have found myself truly annoyed with crazed food people. We buy local; we purchase grass fed milk from a closed herd of cows here locally; if it is grow in PA, we buy it in PA; we are fanatical about quality. You would think that these are my peeps!! Right? Well, why are my peeps so critical? Why do my peeps feel the need to get online and scream at people? I have read some recent comments on food forums that make me cringe. I actually want to find out who there are and go to their desk or stage or office at the jobs where they work and critique their performance. Who cares if I have zero training in what they do, I KNOW what good 'work' is and I can comment and slam them in a public forum!! Are they trying to be harsh? Are they trying to promote change? Change can be good, but it ain't happening when you hurt the one you are trying to influence. Ever agree or even like someone who just calling you a nasty ho? Didn't think so.

Ronald McDonald was just kidnapped. Where are we moving to people? I know, I know, it's a joke. But seriously? Food violence is a joke? It is just food. Hopefully delicious food, but just food. We have a choice. Are we trying to change the world? Jamie Oliver is getting off his ass and educating. That is his passion. I have not eaten in a McDonald's in 13 years. I don't miss it. I read Fast Food Nation. Can we possibly move toward a better world with out all that crazy? Passion should bring joy. Making gelato brings me joy. The relationship I have with the farmers and the way I feel about how I feed my family brings me joy. The people I work with bring me joy. Food is joy for me. It really is a selfish thing. I don't feel superior, I feel happy. When I read about the fetishism of chefs and cooking shows, and the incredible feat of making the simplest food preparations incredibly hard, I roll my eyes. BUT, it is passion. McDonald's is not doing world any service. Sometimes it is all people can afford. What to do? Who is right? Who is wrong? How can we change things?

Can't we all just get along? Food does not mean pain.



No comments:

Post a Comment