Monday, March 22, 2010

The Last of Winter Cooking



















There are certain things that I make only in the winter. The long time spent on the stove, warming the kitchen and filling the house with delicious smells that last all day long are something for the cold weather. I always find myself somehow panicked with the prospect of losing these foods until Fall. I also feel liberated. Dinner is ready with a handful of basil from the backyard and a pot of boiling water.

Even though this was the most glorious weekend, I had purchased short ribs for Sunday dinner a few days before. I had to use them! So, I braised all day Sunday. I had to escape midday for a few soccer games in the delicious warm sun and gentle breezes, but we returned to the dark sky and had a winter dinner. Short ribs with polenta, sauteed mushrooms, green beans with garlic and oil and Big Salad (every salad is Big Salad).

We finished dinner and had big bowls of Mint Stracciatella. It felt like a spring dinner with the light minty gelato punctuated by bittersweet chocolate. Okay, I am ready for the warm weather and all its exquisite offerings. The Seven Weeks of Want are over!!

No comments:

Post a Comment