Thursday, March 4, 2010

Food Thoughts for March


So, two things happened yesterday that precipitated this thought process - the first was brought on by Jeffrey Steingarten. I have to admit, I'm a huge fan of his writing. I really enjoy the honesty and heart he brings to his words, and his passion about food and learning comes through louder than his occasionally curmudgeon-esque personality on Iron Chef. So when my brother gave me "It Must've Been Something I Ate" for Christmas, I tucked it away happily waiting for a good day to start it, which turns out was yesterday. In the introduction, he brings up a question to ask yourself that will, he says, reveal quite a bit about your attitudes toward food. He asks you to read two statements, and choose which fits your personality best:

1. "I feel awful this morning, my skin is covered with bumps, and I can hardly see straight. It must've been something I ate."

OR

2. "I feel light as a feather this morning, my mind is clear as a bell, and I've got a smile on my face for the whole human race. It must've been something I ate."

A few seconds to guess which one I could relate to more...ok so yeah, it's #2. Shortly after reading this my boyfriend and I set about to making dinner - hanger steak with parsnip puree, an herb salad and potatoes and mushrooms cooked in duck fat. I made a spice cake with creme fraiche and pear compote. After eating, we settled in for the night only to be interrupted by a phone call from one of my favorite people saying that the bar we used to frequent in college was closing for good. That night. Now, when I say frequented I mean...I used to live around the corner. Brunch every Sunday. Not a place you'd bring your mother. Ever. Best jukebox in town. It served me my first illegal beer, as well as my first legal beer. A crux of life for those of us who lived in Newark, and a place we all hold near and dear. I got off the phone with Seth and sat on my couch, somewhat dazed. After a minute it became clear what had to happen. I put my shoes on and got back on the phone "We'll meet you there in an hour". Not long after, I found myself in a scene that could have fallen out of five years ago - the same people, most of them had rushed in like I did, after a long hiatus, to have one last beer on the porch.

I could lie and say that I'm sitting here, unaffected by the closing, but in actuality I'm so nostalgic and borderline melancholy it shocks me. That some (let's be honest) pretty crappy bar brought together so many good people, people who still mean the world to me even though I haven't seen most of them in years, and fostered so many memories and good times is no longer around just...brings the end of an era. Yes I know, restaurants and bars come in and out of existence like fruit flies but some things were never meant to leave, and in your mind you never really thought they would.

I guess the funny thing is, on my way to work this morning I felt better than I have in a long time. I got the same amount of sleep (if not less) than I usually do, routines went the way they always have, but as I write this it's abundantly clear to me - it usually is because of something I ate (or drank) that I feel this way. Or because of the people that came together to celebrate and share the food and drink, and each other. So, cheers, East End Cafe. Thanks for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment